Friday, August 3, 2018

July 2018 Reading Round-Up

The Orphan Keeper by Cameron Wright
I listened to this and I enjoyed the audio by Simon Vance. The story is about a boy who gets kidnapped from India and placed for adoption to parents in America and his journey later in life to find his real family. It's based on a true story and while it was good, I feel bad saying that the main character was really annoying.

Peace Like A River by Leif Enger
I read this last year but this time I listened to it and I think that enhanced my experience of this book. The writing is so beautiful and the characters are memorable. I wish I could discuss it with my book club this month. Definitely recommend.

The Widows of Malabar Hill by Sujata Massey
I heard about this on the Modern Mrs. Darcy Summer Reading guide and it was definitely a fun mystery book. I liked that the setting was different than what I normally read (in Bombay). It didn't 'wow' me but I enjoyed it overall.

How to Walk Away by Katherine Center
I heard that this one was very similar to "Me Before You" but more hopeful and I would definitely agree with that. But the problem was it was a little too cheesy and predictable. Seemed a little over-the-top happy but it was something light that I needed in the moment. A beach read if you're looking for one.

A Place For Us by Fatima Farheen Mirza
Complex story of Muslim American family in the 2000’s to present day addressing issues of traditions of religion and loyalty to family. I can’t believe the author is a year younger than me! Amazing for a debut novel. I especially liked the father’s perspective at the end. I wish that Huda was developed more and we got to hear more of her perspective. If I’m remembering correctly, this reminded me a little bit of The Chosen.

A Tree Grows In Brooklyn by Betty Smith
This is a classic for sure and it was so fun to revisit it. It’s one that I think I’ll want to read every few years. 

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
I’m glad to have finally read this one. But for some reason it was a little hard to follow the story on audio. I just need to have character lists on hand when I read his books. :) But of course I like books better when I get someone else’s perspective on why they loved it like my bro-in-law. 

Between The World and Me by Ta-Neshi Coates 
Tiffany mentioned that it sounds like he is yelling at you the whole time but he has good reason to and I would agree with that. 


Read any good books in July? 

No comments:

Post a Comment