Sunday, April 12, 2020

'Whom Seekest Thou?'

This Easter week study I was reading in John 20 of Christ's resurrection and Mary's visit to the tomb. I was struck this time of what Jesus asks her, 'whom seekest thou?' He could have very well just said, "Mary, it's me, Jesus." But the question of whom she was looking for was significant for probably many reasons. To me, the thought stood out to me, 'what kind of God were you seeking? Whom can I be for you today?'  

There has been a lot of uncertainty with this COVID-19 pandemic. In some ways it hasn't really messed up our lives too much and if anything, we get to see Dad more. And other days, I'm really ready to do the things we used to do. In moments of distress or anxiety or overwhelm, I think we go to Jesus and say, 'I need comfort, I need peace, I need reassurance. Can you be this kind of Savior for me today?'

When I read John 20 and Jesus' question to Mary, immediately I thought of Ether in chapter 2 verses 23 and 25. The brother of Jared was trying to figure out how they were going to have light in their barges to cross the waters. God asks, 'what will ye that I should do that ye may have light in your vessels?' Again, God knows all things. He could have given the answer but there is some growth that happens when we answer that question. 

I love President Nelson's plea to 'Hear Him' more in our lives. Of course, when something is in your focus, you find it more. I'm amazed at all the times the Lord does speak and how often in the Book of Mormon prophets are also heeding us to hear his voice. When I was studying 3 Nephi 11 this week, I noticed at the beginning that the people were talking with one another. They were distracted with conversation that they couldn't hear the voice. It wasn't until they were facing towards the sound that they could hear it. 

Then Jesus descends, and because I'm interested in hearing His voice more, I'm paying attention to what he says first (like the first words he said to Mary for example). I feel like first words have some significance. This time He says, "Behold, I am Jesus Christ, whom the prophets have testified shall come into the world. I am the light and the life of the world..." 

I wonder what the first words He'll say when He comes again. Hopefully I'll be ready and listening. 

2 comments:

  1. Julia, this is so beautiful. Thank you for your inspiring, thoughtful insights. I loved them. Love you! And...a beautiful picture of your very cute family.

    ReplyDelete