Wednesday, March 25, 2020

The Worse You Feel, The More Important the Protocol


In month two of Brooke's program, it's all about creating a masterpiece day and focusing on protocols for the morning and evening bookends. These are the times when we have more control over our day than the middle. 

It's interesting that with everything going on with coronavirus, I've noticed I'm even more motivated to keep to the habits that I've been striving for. Last night I really felt in my prayers that I needed to keep doing the things that will keep me grounded. 

One of those things was to get outside in nature. I planned for another trip to St. Edward's but found out that they not only closed down the playgrounds but the entire park! I was so sad. So we zipped down the street and walked along the trails along Big Finn and let Dallin splash in the water and get completely soaked. It was only for about 40 minutes but it was enough. 

Last night, I went to sleep before 10PM and I honestly can't remember the last time I did that! One thing that I loved recently about learning from her program is that we have two sources of power: our agency and the atonement of Jesus Christ. When we choose good things, like for example, going to bed early, our ability to choose the next day will be increased. But the atonement of Jesus Christ is always our source of power that enables us to do good as well as to help us when we haven't made the quality choice we hoped.

I could easily see myself get sucked into the doom and gloom of the virus, and granted I don't have kids in school to have that extra burden, but I feel like I've been trained for days like this. Doing the habits when it's been convenient or easier has helped for the times that it's not so easy. And I know that when even harder things come into my life, because I've done the habits that keep me grounded, I can withstand it. 

Some habits that have kept me grounded
-Yoga in the morning
-Meditation
-Scripture reading
-No food after 7PM
-Get to bed by 10PM
-Read, read, read
-Get outside
-Have moments of stillness
-No tv/movies except on weekends

The worse you feel, the more important the protocol. The better you feel, the more important the protocol. It's about living in your true identity, doing the habits, and doing them every day. That's the blessing of floors and ceilings. A lot of things this week has been floors and I'm totally okay with that. Other times, it's been ceilings or close to it, and I'm all for it as well. It's all about consistency! 

1 comment:

  1. I loved this so much. I agree, habits help keep us grounded in times of turmoil. I really want to get into the 10 pm lights out habit. Thanks so much for sharing. You inspire me.

    ReplyDelete