Monday, July 2, 2018

June 2018 Reading Round-Up



The Wright Brothers by David McCullough
Quite an interesting portrayal of Wilbur and Orville Wright and how they came up with the airplane. I really liked their determination and how genuine they were. I also loved their sister, Katherine. She was a fun character to read about.

To All the Boys I Loved Before by Jenny Han
I've heard this talked about a ton on everyday-reading.com. It's not the worst YA chick lit that I've read but still lots of fluff and not a ton of substance. And I'm not sure if I'm invested in the story enough to read the other two. I might just look up a summary of it later. A quick beach read if you need one.

Maisie Dobbs by Jaqueline Winspear
This is the first in the series of 14 (!) so far. If you read it, do it on audio. I loved the narrator. Overall, it was a fun read and I can see myself turning to it when I need something light and fun.

The Running Dream by Wendelin Van Draanen
I loved her book Flipped and this one was really great as well. Even though pretty sad at first it turned out to be lighthearted and a perfect feel-good book when you need it. Sometimes a bit cheesy but again, it was another quick read that I needed.

Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David Grann
True crime isn't what I am drawn to but I was intrigued with the story nonetheless. It is a bit disturbing (as I'm sure most true crime is) because this actually happened and generations are affected by it. Basically it is 'secret combinations' in real form. But it was also hard to put down. A lot of characters and plots to sift through but it's crazy how interconnected they all were.

The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton
This was a re-read for me as I have a list of postpartum books that I'm going to read because I loved them so much the first time, I know I'll love them again when I needed something fun during this new transition. Two things I forgot about this book: Morton is a great writer but by golly she has a lot more detail than I remembered. I always highly recommend this book but I can see how it would be hard to get into with all the background of characters. It was fun to read this knowing the twist and how crafty the author was in creating the story. 

1 comment:

  1. I just read To All The Boys I've Loved Before last month too, and I totally agree (though I do think it was a good pick for me immediately postpartum just because it WAS so fluffy and didn't require too many brain cells to follow, ha ha).

    ReplyDelete