Friday, June 1, 2018

May 2018 Reading Round-Up

I have been packing in the books this month (can you tell that I'm about to have a baby?) ;) but thankfully I got out of an audiobook rut and was able to finish several of these through audio. And some other ones were just really quick, fun reads. 


Being Mortal by Atul Gawande
This was a really fascinating look at aging, dying, and what our norms in medicine push us to do or how we should "treat" this as if it's a disease. What it comes down to is asking the hard questions like what are you willing to give up and what would you want your life in the end to be like? It's not so much that we want them to die pain free but rather live fully. I wish I had read this when I worked as a hospice volunteer. My perspective of that job changed from reading this. I would have been more sympathetic and had more desire to grant their wishes instead of meeting a criteria for my job. I'd be interested to hear those that have read it who have had to make these decisions concerning loved ones who were nearing the end of their life. Highly recommend.

The Read-Aloud Family by Sarah Mackenzie
If you've ever listened to Sarah on her podcast, you will know how enthusiastic she is about reading aloud. It's a bit contagious. I don't feel like I can give a full, life-changing review because I don't have kids yet BUT I still saw so much value in it. The first part is all about why reading to your kids is one of the best things to do as a parent to connect with your kids. The second part is the how to do it and the third part is what books she recommends. There were a lot on the recommend list that I had never heard of before. I think that was her intention. The classics will always be there but there are a lot of great hidden gems as well.

One of my favorite parts of the book was when she talked about compelling questions to ask your kids about what they're reading. This is what I wish my teachers would have done in elementary school. Instead of being bogged down with details of the story and quizzing them on little facts, get them to write down their thoughts to some interesting questions. Here are a couple of examples: What is the character most afraid of? What does the character want, and why can't he or she have it? What is something you don't want to forget from this book?

I loved this part because not only would it be great to ask kids but also ask these questions in my own book club and think about it with my own books. I can keep these questions in the back of my mind and dig a little deeper when I'm reading something. I'm amazed at people's insights to questions and things I would never think of.

For instance, I was talking to a friend about the book club read for the month (When Breath Becomes Air) and she asked, "would you give this book to someone with cancer? Would you give it to someone who is dealing with a loved one with cancer?" I never thought to ask those questions.

Anyway, there is so much to this book that I could share but simply read it! So many great takeaways.


Restart by Gordon Korman
I'm proud to say that this came recommended by my niece, Julia, and she has excellent taste-this was great! It's about Chase Ambrose who falls off a roof and gets amnesia and can't remember the last 13 years of his life. Once the bully in school, now he gets a new start at his life and what he wants to be. This one hit a lot of great spots for me in terms of middle grade/YA fiction. Reminded me a little bit of Wonder or Flipped where it makes you laugh but also can pull at your heartstrings.





Mansfield Park by Jane Austen
This was my classic book for the month and the first time reading this one. It’s been a while since I’ve read a Jane Austen novel and while I enjoyed reading the beginning in book cover, there’s something about listening to her beautiful writing through audio that makes it better. I thought Fanny had some great moments in this book and I realized how much Edmund bothered me. He seemed more the timid character in my opinion. 






QB: My Life behind the Spiral by Steve Young with Jeff Benedict

This was an interesting and fun memoir with a lot of snippets about Steve Young that I would have never known about. I don't have real memories of him playing on tv but I do have memories of playing the NFL computer game where I always wanted to be 49ers because of Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, and Steve Young. My other favorite team was New York Giants because of LT (Lawrence Taylor). Anyway, I liked the book. I think my only hang up was the excessive play by play in writing. I tended to skim a little bit unless it was a real big game like the Super Bowl or NFC championship or something. 



West With the Night by Beryl Markham

This one has been on my list since I heard it talked about on the What Should I Read Podcast episode with Kathleen Grissom (one of my favorite episodes). I agree with what's been said already that the writing is exquisite. I'm so glad I listened to this one. I started to read it but with all the African names, I knew it would flow better if I listened to it. But the narration really enhanced the whole experience (the narrator was Julie Harris). You really felt like she was telling a story and not just reading a book. The only problem is you can't take time to write down all the quotes. I'll admit that I was more invested in Beryl's story once she started flying but I still thought all of it was worth listening to, just to hear her descriptions. 



I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai
I remember hearing about Malala being shot in my culture and gender class back in 2012. Our teacher, Matt Whoolery, had a daughter that same age and he never gets emotional but he choked up just talking about the incident. He has four daughters and they have lived all over the world including the Middle East so everything hit home for him. I love her courage to stand up for what's right and her advocacy towards education. Makes me want to do more. 






Middlemarch by George Eliot
I'm so glad I finished this! Even though it took me 4 months to do so. The first and the last third were really engaging but there was something about that middle third that was really tough to get through. I bet if someone did it on audio they might be able to get it through quicker. Excellent writing, great themes, and I loved the complexity of the characters. I think my next Eliot novel (but maybe not for a while) will be Adam Bede. Anyone read it? 










Cold Sassy Tree by Olivia Burns

A fun southern fiction book. I enjoyed listening to this on audio. Not a favorite but a good read overall. Great characters. 


Chateau of Secrets by Melanie Dobson


A very predictable and quick read about WWII. Not great literature but not terrible either. Reminded me a little bit of Julie Klassen's books. 

The Almost Sisters by Joshilyn Jackson
This was my first Jackson novel. She creates some fun and memorable characters. I wasn't pulled into this book as much as I was hoping. And the comic-con aspect didn't really work for me but I can see why her books are popular. 

At the Pulpit


See my full review here.

What good books did you read this month?

1 comment: