Wednesday, May 16, 2018

At The Pulpit: 185 Years of Discourses by Latter-day Saint Women


These last four months, I've been savoring talks from this book. I am amazed at each of the women highlighted in this book and can't recommend it enough. I learned from these women to get all the education that you can, especially spiritual knowledge, keep developing skills, use your knowledge to bless others, and be a force for good where you live. The biggest takeaway of course was stay close to the Lord. He will help you in every situation of your life. 

Some talks spoke to me, especially Judy Brummer's conversion story and her testimony of the Book of Mormon. Another talk called "The Theology of Suffering" by Francine R. Bennion was deep. I feel like I need to process that one for a while. 

Other talks I'd never heard of from our recent general Relief Society presidents so those were fun to read. I marked up this book with my handy dandy book darts and I wanted to share some of my favorite quotes or lines that stood out to me. 

This was a blessing from Wilford Woodruff about Lucy Mack Smith" ...the greatest Mother in Israel...Thou hast lived and stood to see the fall of thy sons by the rage of gentile hands, and like an impenetrable rock in the midst of the mighty deep thou hast remained unmoved until God has given thee [the] desires of they heart in seeing the keys of the kingdom of God held in the hands of thy posterity." p. 22

"It is a blessing to us that we, at times, are brought into circumstances which are calculated to bring into exercise every power and faculty which we possess. It is true, we may not seem very desirable for the time being, but it has a tendency to strengthen and develop our abilities and prepare us for greater usefulness." -Eliza R. Snow, p. 42

"...you will learn that all good and great people were those who prayed to God, for it is the only way to become good and great." -Ellenor G. Jones, p. 77

"With our multifarious duties we may not be able to call upon some aged or invalid sister, to cheer her, but we may lend her a book to read at pleasure, and peradventure to the strengthening of her purpose, the cheering of her life, and the edification of her mind. Likewise after reading a good book, pass it to a sister, saying, 'I commend this book to you. It has instructed me and may edify you, and when you have read, return, that I may lend again.'" -Bathesheba W. Smith, p. 100

"Faith is that which gives you vision to carry on and confidence in ultimate success, even in the face of personal discouragement." -Mary J. Wilson, p. 151

"Accept people as you find them, not as others represent them to be." -Belle S. Spafford's mother Hester Sims Smith, p. 183

"Being faithful does not necessarily develop faith. The first principle of the gospel is faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. To have faith in him is to know him, to know his doctrine, and to know that the course of our life is in harmony with and acceptable to him." -Ardeth G. Kapp, p. 195 (she also quoted Oscar Kirkham in her talk when he said, "Build a seaworthy ship. Be a loyal shipmate, and sail a true course.")

"Good theology of suffering explains all human suffering, not just the suffering of those who feel they know God's word and are his chosen people." -Francine R. Bennion, p. 217

"We have to be real ourselves and not dependent on externals. If we are to be like God, we cannot live forever in fear that we may meet something that will scare us or that will hurt us." -Francine R. Bennion, p. 229

"'What are the little crevices in my life that need more attention?' I resolved that rather than plan to repeatedly clean the areas of my life that need attention, I would try harder never to let them become dirty.'" -Linda K. Burton quoting a story from Julie Thompson, p. 329


If you've read this, let me know your thoughts and what your favorite talks/stories were from it! 

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you posted this! I'd never heard of it, and it sounds like exactly what I need right now. I'm looking up that talk on suffering right this minute. Thank you, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These thoughts are so powerful!I love the one about faith! Thanks for reviewing the book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting to read this book! Did your public library have this book available? Did you end up getting a reading kindle? Do you like it?

    ReplyDelete