Wednesday, September 22, 2021

What This Summer Brought Us

 The biggest change we made this summer is we moved! Just 1.5 hours south from where we were before but with COVID working from home became more of an option, and we had my sister and her family move out that we decided to make the plunge to move. It's the first time that we moved because we wanted to rather than for school or job location. 

It was a whirlwind as most moving processes is but all in all in went fairly smoothly. We had so much help from my parents and sisters and niece Sydney. This was the first move where I had most of my house unpacked by the first day. We have loved living closer to Vancouver where we miss the Bellevue and Tacoma traffic and so it's much more of a doable day trip. We also especially love living closer to Meredith and co. After our family reunions ended in mid July, we pretty much saw them every weekend after that till school started. And even then we find excuses like BYU football games to get together. 

Another whopping change was I got called into as the Primary president about 2.5 weeks after we moved in. Bishop couldn't see my mask when he asked but I'm sure my eyes told everything-shock beyond belief. Thankfully I had a lot of support from members who wanted to step in and help which was needed as the week after I was sustained, we had to get 2nd hour up and running. We've had lots of mishaps and I cry almost every Saturday night just thinking about church/Primary the next day. I'm trying hard to be comfortable with my uncomfortable feeling. 

We have lots of construction going across from the park outside. Dallin is obsessed with all things trucks so we frequently take his strider back out for a ride, wave to a few workers, and stare at the massive rollers and diggers around. For Dallin's third birthday, we got him a set of three construction toys that he plays with EVERY day. He formed his own construction zone in the front dirt area. In the summer, I would leave the front door open as to not worry the neighbors that I was not watching my child. ;)

We had so much fun hosting Dani and Nic and their kiddos for a few days. Got to do a beach-y type day where we happened to be hunting for gooey ducks. We watched lots of Olympics around here too and I loved going on a 3 mile walk around the neighborhood with Dani and chatting it up about all the things. 

More highlights were going to Ocean Shores and Westport with the Williams', doing a hike in Dupont (gorgeous!), eating copious amounts of blackberries and grapes that just lovingly appeared there in our back yard. Despite the heat wave, we still got a good amount of both. We went to the zoo, saw Hilary and Marjorie and their kids, Caitlin and Natalie came for lunch before they headed off to the beach. We also ventured to Lake Tapps where Austin's company owns an area of it. 

Labor Day weekend we went to Vancouver because Austin caught a flight to Utah and I wanted to hang out with family while he did so. His parents left for their mission to Brazil and then he stayed for the annual Bro's ultimate frisbee tournament. Dallin must have grown up or something because he had no problems ditching me to go to Viv's house to surprise Daisy from school. It was like he was a teenager and I said I'll see you at Bryson's track meet in a couple of hours! Viv was so nice to have him hang out at her place a couple of times. And Dallin had no problem orchestrating a baseball game with his cousins. Grandma came over to watch at the park and unbeknownst to her Dallin has a plan for her to: "Grandma, you be the umpire!"

Once Austin got back from Utah, we had already set up an appointment to do a session at the Portland Temple. Almost a year and a half later, we finally made it back! Felt so good. 

Austin completed a half marathon last weekend! Bryan roped him into doing it a few months ago so the last 12 weeks Austin has been training for it. We luckily have more of an area than our last place for walks and runs. Since it was going to be in west Seattle, we got a hotel for the night before. Dallin had just transitioned to a toddler bed and with a makeshift of pillows on the both sides of his body, he did very well! 

I was in the middle of reading Steve Sheinkin's latest book Fallout and it was the perfect pairing for Austin and I to watch the movie The Courier. Sometimes I can't believe things that happened in that time period is when my parents were alive and could remember details. Don't worry, Mom and Dad, you're not THAT old. :)

Bryan picked up Austin early Saturday morning and while they were running miles, I was watching college Gameday on ESPN and figuring out where to park to meet them at the finish line. I have never been to this area before so I did not know the ins and outs of the neighborhood. I managed to find a spot on a narrow road about half mile from the finish line. Since I have Austin's location on Google maps, I could see how about how long we would wait. They didn't finish together but within five minutes of each other. They clocked in about a 8.30 pace which is pretty amazing. Austin said he finished about 8th in his age division. 

It was perfect that the half marathon coincided with Caitlin's daughter Natalie's birthday party back up north. Afterwards we hung out at Farah's and Sham's place who are so gracious with lots of snacks. We had a fun time chatting with them before we headed home.

Last couple of summer things: Tacoma Rainier's game. Dallin has really grabbed onto baseball and is always practicing his bat or picking up grounders. I think he was overwhelmed with the fireworks when they hit homers (and they hit a few) but we all had a really good time! I would definitely go back. Now that it's officially fall season, that means lots of sport watching, which is one way I feel sane as a mom. Screen time has definitely increased around here. 

Excited for what fall will bring!


























2 comments:

  1. What a great recap of your life since the move! I loved it all and learned so much! I love that you and Meredith get to see each other so much. And Dallin acting like a teen and orchestrating that game was so funny. Great job to Austin. Amazing pace and smile on his face when he crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All your shirts are so cute ;) I loved reading this recap! I never thought about moving somewhere because you wanted to and not for school or a job, how exciting. I'm glad it's worked out so well. Way to go Austin on the half-marathon!

    ReplyDelete