Friday, March 6, 2020

A Quick Day In the Life

I want to record a little of what life looks like in our house right now with a 20 month year old. These slow days will probably be ones I look back on with fondness of the ease of schedule we're in which will be thwarted once school and activities hit down the road.

6:30-7AM: We all arise. Some of us more happily than others and wishing we could sleep in a wee bit longer. When I go in to get Dallin up, he'll see me and say 'dad' meaning he wants Austin to pick him up but as soon as Austin goes in there, he'll say 'mama.'

Because of mental brain juice, we pretty much eat oatmeal with berries (Dallin especially loves the blueberries), soy milk, and banana with peanut butter. He'll say 'BA!-nana' because he's always just saying 'nana' but I try to get him to say the 'ba' part and that's how it comes out haha.



8AM: After we wash him up, he usually will just play in the living room while I do some sort of exercise. Lately it's been a lot of yoga and pilates. Dallin has become quite a yogi himself and can do a 3-legged dog. He somehow finds his way to wrestle me or get underneath me while I'm doing a downward dog or plank. And he'll slap me in the stomach if I'm doing core workouts.

9AM: After we get dressed and ready for the day, we always go get a Reliv which he loves to shake, shake, shake it!

10AM: It seems like it takes us forever to get socks and shoes and jackets on because he's always running away from me when I'm trying to do it but we somehow make it out the door. We don't have a set routine for each day of the week in terms of where we go but this is what it looks like most weeks. Monday is music and movement class at city hall and we always walk the 15 minutes there. Tuesday was play and learn at the library but now that the weather has improved we usually go to one of our favorite parks like Rhodedendron or St. Edward's, Wednesday is another park or trail day, Thursday is story time at the library, and Friday is either play group, toddler gym if it's really rainy  or another park day. Occasionally I squeeze in grocery shopping one of those days but lately it's been early morning Saturday runs that I do instead.







Noon: We make it back from wherever we are for lunch around noon. And they've been the same lunches for a long time-hummus on bread and avocado. It's the cutest thing when he says 'hummus'. He truly is my clone when it comes to food. I don't think Austin eats hummus at all.

1:30PM: This is the time he usually goes down for a nap. We read and sing a song beforehand. He'll say 'night, night', blow us a kiss, and say 'bye.' We had a few rough weeks of sleep where he would scream if we left so I'm grateful we're back to 'see you later, Mom!' He always used to pound himself to sleep but lately it's stand on his crib with his blanket on top of his head while he hums himself into his hands.

4PM: He usually wakes up around this time. We've sort of gotten out of this habit or maybe he's just tired of it but our snack after nap time is always popcorn. We'll make it in the microwave together and then we'll plop it on the living room floor with our stack of books to read while he eats (oh and I eat it too).






4:30PM: Basically at this point until Dad comes home, I just try to manage the chaos while also trying to finish up dinner. I like to prep dinner during nap time but sometime I'm so tired that I just plop on the couch. One of his favorite activities right now is water. I'll fill up two big plastic containers and set each one in each side of the sink. Then I'll get him some scoopers or his little bowls and let him transfer it from to the other. It only lasts about 10 minutes and he and floor are usually wet by the end but it keeps him occupied!



6PM: Dad's home and we're eating dinner. Afterwards, either Austin and Dallin will play in the living room together or they'll go get the mail which will leave me with 10-15 minutes of a breather by myself. Anytime we ask Dallin if he wants to get the mail he'll clasp his hands together and say 'brrr'.
Then we get pajamas on, read scriptures, and his new favorite thing that we do is put our hands on top of each other and say 'Doutre!' It does sound like it when he says it, it's the cutest.
 7:30PM: We try to give ourselves a good half hour to get him settled down. Read him several books and a quiet book. Some of his favorite books right now are any of the construction books by Sally Sutton and Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site as the quiet book.

8PM: Austin and I are rejoicing in our freedom!

No comments:

Post a Comment