Tuesday, October 2, 2018

The End of Summer and Life With a 3 Month Old

I'm so grateful for google photos where I can just pop it up and it reminds me of events that happened throughout the year. And it's full of pictures of Dallin which is my favorite. It's crazy to see him change little by little. 

Things lately: 
-I've been seeing a physical therapist for my pelvic health for the last 5 weeks and have loved it. While I was pregnant I noticed this heaviness around my pelvic area. I knew my body was producing relaxin in preparation for labor so I didn't think much of it but I felt like I needed to get it checked because it still had not gone away after the birth. For example, when I would try to push the oven drawer with one foot, I could feel a tightness in my pelvic area. And even exercise with jumping was weird. It didn't feel right. The amazing and crazy thing about our body is how so many things are interconnected so some exercises that are working one area are really to help another area of my body. And then some of the exercises are literally massaging the pelvic area. I've already noticed a difference even though it takes up to a year for your pelvic area to fully heal. 

I feel like I come in with a new problem each week but I think it's all still part of the relaxin that it's in my body from breastfeeding. I'm a little more prone to injury. But part of me loves going to physical therapy because my physical therapist is awesome. She has a very calming personality and loves little Dallin. If I swaddle him I just lay him in the car seat and he's really content. One time I was swaddling him while she was working on the computer and she says, "you are the sweetest Mom. Don't worry I'm just tearing up over here." 
-I've been doing a 15 minute yoga morning routine for the last week and even though it's not high intensity in any way, it's enough to get my blood flowing and it feels amazing. 

-The Seattle Temple was closing up near the end of August for 3 months so we had to take full advantage before then. Austin and I switched doing initiatories and watching Dallin. It was a beautiful day and the grounds are stunning with all the flowers. 

-Near the end of August, because of our last summer nights, I wanted to see Mukliteo lighthouse at sunset. From the pictures it looked like a perfect evening but I was careful not to put anything on social media because it would have been a false assumption. I really wanted to have a great night and I felt like I ruined it (just a thought I know but still). My baby is screaming in the back on the way there because I cut breastfeeding time short so we could catch sunset. Austin is nice enough to still get ice cream but when he drops one of the spoons on the cement ground but then licks it, I get all uptight and say, "what are you doing?! That is disgusting!" but not in a joking way. Like I can't believe you would do that kind of way. Plus, there were a lot of smokers and it was cold and I forgot a blanket for Dallin and we smelled like camp fire. All in all, a good learning experience but it reminded me that usually what I see on social media is probably not the full scope of things. 
-BYU sports are back and, you know me, I love watching sports! BYU women's volleyball is currently #1 right now and they're my favorite to watch. BYU football had an epic game against Wisconsin that was fun to watch and every once in a while I'll catch BYU soccer playing. So yeah, fun all around. And basketball starts up in a couple of weeks. I love fall. 
-The last Saturday in September we headed to Tacoma to go to Austin's 10 year high school reunion. Let's just say he had WAY more friends in high school than I did. I didn't really have any interest going to mine. Plus I just had a baby so that wasn't happening. And of course we were the only ones that brought a baby. It was kind of comical with everyone drinking beer and loud music playing and here's this sweet little baby. I bowed out to feed him in the car. But that was just after he had a massive blowout. Great timing bud. Dallin and I enjoyed having quiet time to ourselves. Austin had a blast though! There were actually many LDS friends that went to his high school but because they all went to BYU or BYU-Idaho, most of them live out of state. But that didn't deter him from having a great time because all his cross country buddies were there. :) 
Now a little bit about D man...what I don't want to forget at this 3 month stage:

-He is affectionally known as our dream baby. Truly. He's making me look like I know what I'm doing and I have no idea what I'm doing! When we went to our 2 month appointment, the pediatrician told me I can start getting him to sleep on his own and we had a couple of weeks where it was two steps forward, one step back but now he's a champ at it. He was a clingy baby before that point but now I'm thinking he's more of a self-soother. Sometimes it gets out of his swaddle too quick and then he really has a hard time falling asleep but a quick adjustment there and then he's out. He loves sucking on his whole hand and he'll just squeal or semi-whines in bed till he falls asleep. Seriously, who is this kid?! He also just chats with himself until I come get him from his nap (unless it's early morning or after a long nap and he's HANGRY).

The squealing though is my favorite. It's the way that we chat with each other during the day. He has this wide open grin while he's doing it. I want to capture it on video sometime because it's the cutest. I can tell his brain is working because I'll stick out my tongue and you can tell he's thinking about doing it back because his tongue just moves ever so slightly. 

-Lately he has been POUNDING on the crib mattress with his feet. It's in a rhythm that sounds like GET.ME.OUT.OF.HERE! 

-He is a spitter-upper. Like crazy. 
-When I go in to pick him up from his nap and even before he sees me, if he hears my voice, he gets so excited and starts kicking and smiling. 

-Sometimes when he feeds, all of a sudden mid suck with his eyes closed, he'll have this huge chuckle. 

-Distractions used to not phase him but unless he's super hungry, every little noise can get him distracted. The funniest though is when he knows it's really nothing he comes right back to business fast and full force haha. 
Thanks for enduring all those photos of Dallin. I know, it was rough. ;) I'll end the post with venturing to the farmer's market on its last day and then a walk afterwards. It really felt like the end of summer with this sunset. Can you see Seattle skyline in the distance? Bye, summer. Hello, fall!

3 comments:

  1. Don't beat yourself up too much about the lighthouse outing--going out on adventures with little kids takes some serious adjusting to (I STILL feel I forget stuff I should have brought nearly every time!). It's so good that you're just going out and getting out of the house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I teared up over the Physical Therapist's sweet words about what a sweet Mom you are. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always recommend people to resort to physical therapy, because It's so beneficial to our physical and mental health, but mostly because it helps patients on their recovery. It's sad that people don't know how impactful undergoing physical therapy is. A website that has helped me become more aware of physical therapy and its importance is Preferred Rehab , you should check it out!

    ReplyDelete