Monday, January 1, 2018

Ringing in the new year!


Austin and I are ringing in the new year in Hawaii!...by watching my sister’s four kids. Haha but it’s been great. I’m just attempting to write a small post on my phone because I couldn’t pass up talking about the end of the year and favorite books or such.

This year had a lot of good moments but I know that 2018 will be the year we say “remember all those changes?” Because in one month Austin will start a job with Puget Sound Energy as an energy management engineer! He was the top candidate for both Bothell and Kent offices and they were impressed by him to make as many possible ways to get him out for a 2nd interview. Even when the Amtrak derailed the day before, they flew him out from PDX to Seattle. It was a real blessing. We feel so fortunate to get the job so soon and right around Christmas time!

He’s worked so hard networking and such and to get a job that he was the most excited about is icing on the cake. We are going to pay 1.5x the rent we pay now but I finally get to live by a Target, Costco, and Trader Joe’s AND only 20 mins away from the Temple (as opposed to 1.5 hours) so I’m feeling pretty good about things.

Ok 2017 books this year: I read 101 books! I know part of that was due from a husband who had lab work till 1 in the morning so there was only one thing to do but I guess the rest of the year was luck. I don’t know how I read that many. Once I got pregnant, my reading went downhill even though all I wanted to do was sit on the couch but specifically watch movies and not think. But I decided next year not to do numbers but be more intentional in what I want to read, like the classics. Again, we’ll see how this year goes with reading with a new baby but I’m hoping the feeding time will clock in some good reading hours.

No photos for these books but some favorite reads this year in no particular order:

The Snow Child-it’s best to read this in winter because her writing makes you feel everything in this book. Raw, beautiful, just everything in a good reading experience at the perfect time.

Most Dangerous: Daniel Ellsberg and the secret history of the Vietnam War-this is a Steve Sheinkin book and he is a master weaving history to a young audience that appeals to adults too. My dad read it and he was in the Vietnam war and didn’t know half of the things we’re going on with secrecy in the government. It’s so fascinating. I’m going to re read this one soon, maybe this year.

We Were the Lucky Ones-I’m always partial to books that I call underdog books-books that are so good but don’t get the immediate attention. I know there are so many WWII novels but one that actually makes you want to do family history work? Sign me up.

Just Mercy: A story of justice and redemption- if you’re looking for a fantastic nonfiction, pick this one up. It changed how I viewed the world and that’s the power of books, right?

Every classic I read I loved: Tale of Two cities, Gone with the Wind, Far from the madding crowd.

One of my favorite middle grade reads was The War I finally won, the sequel to the war that saved my life. Great storytelling and characters. These books pull at your heart strings.

On the note of books, I’m tempted to get rid of my bookstagram account. I feel embarrassed thinking of quitting so soon but it’s one more thing to look at and right now I kind of dread it. What I’ve noticed is it’s become more of a popularity contest where people are just there for followers it seems. Ugh. Almost feels like high school. I’m just not sure it’s serving the purpose I thought it would. Maybe I’ll give it a few weeks and see but hopefully it’ll means I’ll be better at posting here.

To end this year, I have to post JJ Heller’s lyrics from her song This Year (Happy New Year).
This year
I'm not looking back to who I was
Because I'm gonna be someone
I've never been
This year
I'm not focused on the cracks in the walls
Not keeping track of all the times I fall
This year

So long to last year
It's all becoming so clear
There is no use living in regret
Let's fight the good fight
Train our eyes to find the light
And make this year the best one yet!
Starting right here
Happy New Year!

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment