Thursday, October 5, 2017

Third Quarter Reading

Here are some of my favorite reads these past three months. You can see my full list on Goodreads. And then I'll post at the bottom some books I'm looking forward to reading this next quarter. 

Fiction

Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell: I pretty much decided to read this on a whim. I knew one of my goals this year was to read a book over 700 pages so I decided to go with this one. And then I decided my Mom should join in on the fun. For a book about 1000 pages, it didn't seem that long...ok, there were some skimming parts for sure, but it wasn't a dread to pick it up. Mitchell is a fantastic writer and she gives you a lot to think about it by the end. My Mom and I had a great 45 minute chat once I finished about characters we liked and disliked, what we would do in certain situations, and such. We both concluded that Ashley was a really weak character. Meaning him and Scarlett were actually more perfect for each other than him and Melanie. He just fell flat in my mind the whole time I read the book. I felt some pity for him at the end (if you've read the book, you know what I'm talking about) because it seems any sort of spark of courage or determination was plucked out of him. 

Despite Rhett being a womanizer, we actually really liked him. Him and Scarlett were a lot alike in my opinion but he was more mature to not let her run his life like she did with so many other men. I loved his relationship with his daughter at the end. 

Scarlett was so self absorbed it was almost comical. But in the end, I felt a twinge of sadness for her. I mean she was finally understanding what she really wanted and now it was out of her reach. But by the last sentence of the book, I thought, 'nope, she still has no idea what she wants.' #facepalm 

Mr. Rochester by Sarah Shoemaker: I never know what I'm going to get with a re-telling of a classic story. I'm glad this wasn't just another rehash of Jane Eyre told in modern setting, though. The author was able to use her own liberties with the story but then come back to Bronte's version pretty seamlessly. I thought she was a great writer and even though it's hard to match Bronte's style exactly (I mean, it's Bronte!) I thought it was well done. 

I was a little skeptical of his side of the story and the extra drama that the author put in but it really flowed so seamlessly that it felt like that really was his backstory. It's so weird not to have Jane's side of the story. It almost made her seem really flat as a character because she wasn't in it a ton. The time when she's at Thornfield is more condensed. There was a lot of back story before she comes. All in all, a great read and it makes me want to pick up Jane Eyre again. The audio version of Mr. Rochester is fantastic. 

Nonfiction

Not in God's Name by Rabbi Jonathan Sacks: Full review here

The Notorious RBG by Irin Carmon and Shana Knizhnik: The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg: I feel sad to say I hardly knew anything about RBG...okay, basically that she's on the Supreme Court and that's it. This was part of the social book club read in September and I'm glad I read this fast and interesting book. It was a great look into her life and the hoops she had to jump in a world of even more suppression of woman becoming lawyers and succeeding in a "man's world". She did a lot for our country in equalizing men and women in the workforce. 

I really appreciate people who can tell their ideas on some hard issues of the day like abortion and marriage rights, etc., and I get an 'uh, never thought about that before' moment. It doesn't drastically change what I believe but I'm grateful for the other side that makes me think differently on such subjects. Two words for RBG: girl power. 

Memoir:

An Unseen Angel by Alissa Parker: Wow, lots of tears in this one. It made me depressed and comforted all at the same time. I don't know why certain things happen to certain people but I appreciate when they tell their story of hope, forgiveness, and how their faith is strengthened so it helps my faith to be strengthened. 


Textbook by Amy Krouse Rosenthal : I know a lot of people got weepy in this one but one thing I remember from reading this is the funny parts (does that make me a bad person?) I was trying to explain to Austin one part of the book and I couldn't because I was laughing too much. She explained a part of my life to a T. I am saddened by her loss, though. She wrote such beautiful essays. I'm in the middle of a food memoir and the essays just can't compare at all. 

Young Adult

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas: Overall I'm really glad I had this book because it's an eye opener for sure. The language was a bit much for me but I can see how it painted a picture of their life and I'm guessing it's pretty accurate. It's just a bummer that I'm apprehensive about recommending it for that reason. 

Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys : This one is great if you're looking for a fast but engaging read. At first it took me a little bit to get a sense of place in the story. It's not a very detail read because the chapters are so short but it's one that can pull at your heart strings at the end. And about a part of history that I knew nothing about. 

Middle Grade

Hour of the Bees by Lindsay Eagar: This might not be knock-your-socks-off-amazing but it's a story that I think sticks with you. I don't really look at bees the same and it's fun when an author can throw in some magical realism to change your thinking on things. Solid middle grade fiction. 

4th quarter TBR:
Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate
Beneath a Scarlet Sky by Mark Sullivan
Still Life by Louise Penny
The Vanderbeekers of 141st Street by Karina Yan Glaser
Caroline by Sarah Miller
The Other Alcott by Elise Hooper
Code Girls by Liza Mundy

What's on your reads this fall? 

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your synopsis of the books you've read. It always makes me want to search out those books and start reading! Well done!

    ReplyDelete