Saturday, August 27, 2016

Five Books for Fall Reading


As we're in the beginning of school and slowly working our way out of summer to fall (tear!), I wanted to write down the books that I'm anticipating reading this fall. These are some that fall along the category of thrilling, gothic, intense, somewhat creepy type books, as I guess Halloween is what's on my mind when I think of fall.

Basically, these are just books that I think will heighten my love for them if I read them during this season. And also I'm trying to make sure I don't get any sleep this fall. :)

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
This sounds funny but it's making the list because it has 'night' in the title and the cover looks mystified. But I hear it's really imaginative and exciting. I'll probably be listening to this on audio because Jim Dale does it (you know, the Harry Potter voice man) so it's bound to be good.

Jane Steele by Lyndsay Faye
This is supposed to be a spin-off of Jane Eyre with a more murderous approach. I thought it was hilarious when a review said "a gothic retelling of Jane Eyre". Uh, wasn't Jane Eyre gothic enough? On the What Should I Read Next Podcast, Anne highly recommends this to a guest and tries to tell them it's not a retelling and to not think of it that way, even though there are definite similarities. I just got it from the library so we'll see how it goes.


My sister told me that she read this years ago and it kept her up all night to find out what happens. On Halloween. And of course, she was totally freaked out because of it. Yeah, that would scare me too. But it's partly why it's one of my picks.


Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier
I've only heard good things about this novel. A similar feel to Jane Eyre. And I hear the audio is a must. I just have a feeling I'm going to like this one the most this season.


And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie
Murder on the Orient Express was my first exposure to Agatha Christie (read by Dan Stevens-brilliant!) and I thoroughly enjoyed it. This seems to be her most suspenseful and thrilling one. I'm prepared to be scared out of my mind. Bring it, Agatha.






Other possible picks
Bleak House by Charles Dickens
The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson
Still Life by Louise Penny
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
Dracula by Bram Stoker

Have you read any of these? What would you add to this list?

*images from Google

8 comments:

  1. You're brave! They freak me out just reading about them. Just kidding. You're ambitious. Good for you! Dad and I saw the movie "Rebecca" this weekend. I checked it out from the library. Very good! Black and white, and very dramatic for that time when it was filmed, but it was intriguing. Amazing how one movie can be based on "Rebecca" but she isn't in the movie and we don't see a picture of her...a painting once depicting her, but that was it. We recommend.

    I read "And Then There Were None" back in high school or something and I was an Agatha Christie fan after that. But can't remember how the story went. Long ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know you read "And Then There Were None" before! I'm excited to dive into that one and then talk to you about it. Maybe you should give it a try again, Mom? ;) I'll have to check out the Rebecca movie after I finish the book. Thanks for the recommendation. :)

      Delete
  2. This is a fantastic list. I'm not much of one for horror or scary thrillers, but I think you've exactly nailed my kind of taste when it comes to creepy reads. I've read (and recommend) all of these except Jane Steele, so I'm excited to hear your thoughts on that one and how it stacks up compared to these other reads. (From your other possible picks, I completely recommend Dracula, and Bleak House, although Dickens always takes some work to get through.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know you were recommend most of these! I'm excited to to finally get into these because they've been on TBR list for a while. And yes, with Bleak House, maybe it shouldn't be my first 1000+ plunge but someday I would love to get around to it. BBC does great adaptations for Dickens novel (well I guess I've only seen Little Dorrit but it's one of my faves!) and I hear Bleak House is fantastic.

      Delete
  3. Such a good list! I've read Rebecca, The Woman in White, and And Then There Were None, all in October, and they were absolutely perfect for this time of year, so I think you'll love them. This fall I'm hoping to read The Night Gardener and The 13th Tale as my gothic/chilling reads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thoroughly enjoyed The 13th Tale. I just read it recently (I think because Anne recommended it to you on your podcast with her:) and I felt like it was a mix of Jane Eyre and a Kate Morton book. I'm interested to hear how you like it!

      Delete
  4. Keep posting what you've read and want to read! I only copy what you read ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've started Dracula before... It's scary! But you know me I'm a wimp. Totally off the topic of books but have you seen "Agatha Christies Poriot"? It's on Netflix, they are old murder mysteries. so funny and usually have a good twist! I have a feeling you and Austin would love it.

    ReplyDelete