Thursday, May 28, 2015

Hope which thou desirest

I was looking up scriptures on faith and I came across the scripture from Alma 22:16. The last part says "call on his name in faith, believing that ye shall receive, then shalt thou receive the hope which thou desirest." Not as often as it should that a scripture gives me that much joy. I smiled wide and wrote in the margin, "What a beautiful promise!" God is kind and I should be grateful that He is.

This scripture tied in well with what we had been listening to this morning. Austin and I like to listen to a Conference address while we're getting ready for the day. I turned on "Laborers in the Vineyard" by Elder Holland. His first point of emphasis was about not being upset when someone gets a blessing you want and you don't get it. "Be kind. And be grateful that God is kind." I think I compare too much with people and where they are at in their lives. I probably need a daily reminder that this is NOT a race against each other but against sin. And the Lord has given us the great gift of agency to not be offended when things don't go our way and we see someone else getting what we most desire. I really needed that message specifically this morning. Our internet was down yesterday and I was planning on listening to it yesterday morning but I wouldn't have gotten as far in my study of the scriptures until this morning so it was just what God wanted for me to hear today. He really is in the details of our lives.

I think I love this scripture so much is because I have a lot of desires and not saying that they will all be granted to me right when I want them but if I have faith and press forward with hope believing in God, then all His promises will be sure and I want all of His promises. He knows much more than me and is preparing me now for future endeavors and responsibilities. I'm so grateful that I can pray to Him in faith. I know my prayers need great improvement and that's what I'm working towards and isn't that the beauty of the Gospel?


1 comment:

  1. Powerful scripture and powerful insight. Thanks jules! I struggle too when others get blessings I would like. I need to remember this.

    ReplyDelete