Friday, December 31, 2021

Favorite Discoveries of 2021

To find out my favorite discoveries of 2020, go here.

These posts are some of my favorite to write because I love getting to look back on all the good things that this year has brought. 

Music: Always have to include my favorite JJ Heller because she comes out with a new song every month. A couple of ones that I love were "Ordinary Days", "I see you" (a Jesus song-so good), a couple of older ones that were brought to my attention like "Unbreakable heart" and "I have Enough", and love her version of Ben Rector's "Extraordinary Magic". Speaking of Ben Rector, by far the most repeated song we listened to this year was "Range Rover." It was a constant request by Dallin. The music video is awesome. It's just pure fun! And Cody Fry's song "Flying" just makes me want to weep a little.

I really got into "The Lamb of God" music by Rob Gardner when we saw it performed in theaters. "Make me Whole", "Here is Hope", and "More Like Thee" are my favorite. 

Books: This year I've read the most than any other year: 140! I had a goal to read 150 and even though at the beginning of the year it looked promising, little by little that "# books behind schedule" started to creep higher and higher. That's ok! I waffle whether to do reading logs each year. I may skip it next year and just read longer books that I've been meaning to. Here's some of my favorites. (warning: practically all nonfiction-gotta up my game next year!)


More than a Body: Your Body is An Instrument, Not an Ornament by Lexie and Lindsay Kite: I already wrote a lot about this book here but I think about it all the time. Excited to discuss it with our book club next month.

Fallout: Spies, Superbombs, and the Ultimate Cold War Showdown by Steve Sheinkin: This felt like the sequel to Sheinkin's Bomb. It was another stellar YA nonfiction that kept me engaged while learning lots of interesting history. Recommend for older teens and up. 

A Place to Hang the Moon by Kate Albus: I just fell in love with this sweet middle grade novel. It's set in WWII time about three orphans who are trying to find a new family to take them in. I especially loved the writing in this one. Felt like a classic. 

Dragon Hoops by Gene Luen Yang: This amazing graphic novel is about Yang's experience chronicling the high school he teaches at their basketball team trying to win the state championship game. Yang never liked basketball himself but comes to appreciate the sport and the people by telling their story. This was so much fun. 

This is All I Got: A New Mother's Search For Home by Lauren Sandler: A journalist who follows for a year the life of a brand new single mother who is homeless. This really made me see what a mess the welfare system is in terms of the hoops you have to jump to get help. There were many moments of frustration and disappointments, especially by the end by I appreciated learning and experiencing a life I know nothing about. 

Crossings by Melissa Inouye: I loved this collection of essays on faith, motherhood, struggle, just every day life (her Christmas cards were so funny to read.) I really loved her writing and would go back to read some particular essays that stood out to me. 

All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys Soccer Team by Christina Soontornvat: I was completely enthralled with this story. I just had a baby a few days before this incident happened so I was really out of the loop on what went on even though I vaguely remember hearing about it. I loved the banding together of the country and even different parts of the world to help in this rescue. It was intense to read-I had to remind myself to breathe a few times. 

Empire of Pain: The Secret History of the Sackler Dynasty by Patrick Radden Keefe: Investigative journalism is becoming a new favorite genre of mine and this is an excellent piece of work. Keefe unpacks the Sackler rise and control of Purdue Pharma that manufactures and sells Oxycontin. What Keefe does is how the family was a major player in the opioid crisis and lawsuits against the family are still going on today. Such a fascinating read even for a whole 18 hours on audio.

How the Word is Passed: A Reckoning of the History of Slavery in America by Clint Smith: I think this book is the most highly rated on Goodreads from my list this year. It's really hard not to love Clint's moving story by giving us a tour of key places in the United States and how they have reckon with slavery; places from Monticello to Angola Prison in Louisiana. This would be great paired up with Isabel Wilkerson's work. 

Other mentions:
The Sum of Us: What Racism Costs Everyone and How We Can Prosper Together by Heather McGhee
Bridges: Ministering to those who Question by David Ostler
Chasing the Thrill: Obsession, Death, and Glory in America's Most Extraordinary Treasure Hunt by Daniel Barbarisi
Dancing at the Pity Party: A Dead Mom Graphic Memoir by Tyler Feder

Movies/TV shows: First with movies, we've really enjoyed the newest Spider-man movies. Excited to see the latest one that just came out in theaters. I'm behind on the Marvel world but I always love a good Spider-man movie. If I could pick a favorite Hallmark Christmas movie, it would be Next Stop Christmas. It had a bit of time travel (with Christopher Lloyd in it of course) and it was so cute. And I waited 3 years for the latest Signed, Sealed, Delivered movie and it did not disappoint. These are produced/written by the lady who did Touched by an Angel. It's surrounding 4 "postables" who work in the dead letter office that return missing letters/packages to their attempted receivers. It's a mystery without the murder if you know what I mean. So heartwarming. Did I shed a few tears? Maybe...

With TV shows, easily the best show out there is All Creatures Great and Small. It is the most delightful show and I'm someone who doesn't really care about veterinary work. But it's based on James Herriot's real life experiences in the Dales in the early 1930's. And the scenery is breathtaking. Can't get enough of the show and so excited for its return this January!

Another Masterpiece PBS show that we enjoyed was Miss Scarlet and the Duke. She is a feisty independent woman trying to make a name for herself in the late 1800's as a detective in place of her late father. But no one will take her seriously to hire her because she is a woman. So sometimes she needs the assistance of her longtime friend, William, a Scotland yard detective, to make a name for herself. The banter between these two will make you go bonkers but I love Eliza's character. The first episode was a little weird and one episode was a bit slow but the last two (there are only six episodes) got really suspenseful and Austin totally called the reveal! Also, the opening song for the show is awesome.

Other fun discoveries:

My parents moved from their beloved home of 26 years and I had all the feels when my sister Emily put this video together to remember it. An absolute treasure of a movie and a home!

I was on a podcast! This was kind of on a whim but I shared my health challenge experience and what helped me with it. It's the Wisdom with Trish podcast, episode 62. 

Loved this podcast episode with Sheri Dew. She's one of my favorite people. 

What were some of your favorite things you discovered this year?

2 comments:

  1. okay now i want to write one of these kind of posts! This was so fun to read. I am so inspired by your book reading and I wish we lived together now so this rubbed off on me. I remember you telling me about the homeless woman book and I know AA recommended the "a place to hang the moon." I hope to read these those this year! Now I want to watch "Miss Scarlet and the Duke." Also, I think there is a documentary on Disney+ on the Thai boy's soccer team, hoping to watch it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok I want to go look into all the things you shared!!

    ReplyDelete