Sunday, October 4, 2020

The Power of Good Music

Anytime I notice myself getting more anxious or uncertain, I have a check list of 'how am I doing with the fundamentals?' This stems from Brooke's list of 'fundies': eat, move, sleep, breathe, be grateful, be present, be prosperous. All of these greatly increase my chances of showing up as my true self and gives me peace and a stress relief. 

I listen to a lot of things like podcasts, Brooke's classes, audiobooks, Marco Polo videos, etc. but with all these inputs, I inadvertently stopped listening to music. 

There was almost this lull in my body that was craving sound different than what I was getting. The other inputs were good, but compared to music, it's rather dull and monotone. 

This week in particular my mind was my attention to be 'tuned' to the news, politics, contentious issues, etc. Then I had a tragic text from my friend that her baby know longer had a heartbeat and would be induced on Friday to give birth to lay that baby to rest. And she would name it Julia Rose (not necessarily after me but it still touched me). 

The releasing influence of music was exactly what my heart needed. I was peeling potatoes for dinner, listening to JJ (I bet her song 'Always' came on), and without realizing it, I just sobbed and sobbed for my friend. Music allowed my heart to just 'mourn with those that mourn'. I've never experienced it quite like that before. 

I could have allowed that moment to pass so I could catch up on an audiobook but I'm so glad that I listened to what my soul needed and just let it all flow out. I needed that reminder this week. 

How has music blessed you?

2 comments:

  1. I love your thoughts here, Julia. I have noticed the same in my life. I haven't had enough enriching music to fill my soul. I want to change that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that thought about music allows us to mourn with those that mourn. fascinating!! I agree, there is something about some good music!

    ReplyDelete