Sunday, June 9, 2019

Lewis Sister's Retreat

My sister Meredith set out a goal last September to run a marathon and it worked out that we could all plan a sister's retreat around that in Newport, Oregon. It was THE BEST. I had a hard time coming back to reality. I did take Dallin with me and I was a little worried about the sleeping and how hard it might be on him with routine kind of messed up but it worked out a lot better than expected. He still proves to be such a happy, laughing, smiley, easy baby. 

On Wednesady, May 29th, Dallin and I flew in and were the first to arrive. Dad and I went and got all the groceries for the retreat since I was in charge of the food. Mere and Emily came in later that evening. I loved sitting around chatting with Mere and Mom and Dad out on the deck on a beautiful evening. 

 Thursday, Ondalynn and Alice-Anne and Danielle arrived and we ate lunch then packed up the food and other supplies. They picked up Viv on the way. And Tiffany met us at the beach. We really missed Janelle who couldn't make it.

 I loved being able to talk with A-A, Mom, and Danielle on the way down. It was fun to hear about the upcoming adventures for Danielle and Crismon in Europe and then New York. 

We got settled into our house and ate dinner then went on a walk. Basically the retreat came be summed up into eating, chatting, and walking. It is what Lewis women know best. 
Holding up the drone for Emily
Friday was my 29th birthday. I LOVED celebrating with all my sisters and Mom. Ondalynn hung up this happy birthday banner. We had lunch at Local Oceans then walked around Newport. We also went to this lighthouse and tide pools with amazing sea creatures. And the view was spectacular!














That evening after dinner, Ondalynn shared with us about how there is a spirit animal for women: elephants. They rally and protect each other, especially from predators while a mother is giving birth. She talked about how we are all rallying with each other. She each gave us a necklace to remember that by. 


And they were all so nice to give me presents! I was pretty surprised by that. They gave me the book Insights from a Prophet's Life about President Nelson and then the Love Real Food Cookbook that I've been checking out from the library over and over again so I was so grateful to get it! 




We ended the day by hot tubbing and then eating brownies and ice cream. 




Saturday morning was the race and because of injury, Meredith and Ondalynn just ran the half marathon but it was still impressive! Unfortunately we missed Ondalynn's finish but then she went back and walked/ran with Mere by the end so we got to see them both together at the last stretch. 




We got to go to a local beach near Waldport and sit around and do more talking. Throughout the week during the meals we talked about a tender mercy we've had this last year. And on Saturday evening we talked about 'favorite things.' Basically I came away with LOTS of things I wanted to buy hehe. 


I loved something that Mere said that I've been thinking about a lot. She told the backstory of her signing up for this marathon and how it was a big goal but she was willing to put herself out there and do it. Then a couple of months ago she got shin splints and then while she was running the race, her injuries were so bad that she had to walk most of the way. She felt so deflated that after all this training, she couldn't run her race. She kept having the thought, "this was not the race I was supposed to run." Then it dawned on her, that there are some things in our life that happen and we think, 'this was not the race I was supposed to run. This wasn't supposed to happen.' Then she thought of Viv and her situation and how this wasn't the run she planned on having but she was doing it; as hard as it is. Ondalynn and Mere dedicated that race to Viv. When they were training, they sometimes didn't want to because it was so hard. Then they would think of Viv and all that she is going through and think, 'if Viv can do this hard thing, then so can I.' I just love the idea that we're all running in a race and sometimes it's not the race we signed up for but we do it anyway because there is so much growth on the other side.


I came away from this sister's retreat so rejuvenated. I love these incredible women and glad that we stay in contact almost daily through Marco Polo or texts or calls. They are my best friends. 

1 comment:

  1. The Sister's Retreat was so wonderful. Thank you for all your organizing, planning and shopping for the food. That was a huge undertaking! We loved celebrating your birthday with you, and we LOVED having Dallin with us.

    ReplyDelete