Sunday, March 24, 2019

The Principle of Preparation

This last week in Come, Follow Me we studied about the parable of the sower and the seed. The sower and seed are always good. The soil is the fluid factor in the equation-the fulfillment of fruit is based on the preparation or care of the soil or the lack thereof. 

Some seeds fell by the wayside, some on stony ground, some choked up with thorns, and some planted in good ground. 

Sometimes I see parables and I see myself in the good light. "Of course I've received the word and heard it and understood it, I'm still a member of the church, aren't I? I've still kept my covenants." And while that is all good and worthy, I realize that this parable was not just talking about a one and done thing. If that was the case, it would seem that baptism was the end all. 

But the Lord works line upon line, precept on precept. In essence, we all experience all types of soil on a daily, weekly, monthly, yearly basis. It can change all the time. 

Just last night I experienced "the wayside." It was late and I was tired and had not read the scriptures that day. This practice of reading I've kept for more than a decade but I've sometimes let habit become 'vain'. I read but I wasn't in it. I read just to read. I didn't even remember, once I was on to reading another book, what I had just read. The seed, meaning the word, was there and it's good. But I didn't prepare my heart to receive it, to plant it, for it to eventually be nourished to grow and produce fruit. 

The whole purpose of the parable was "they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them." (Matt. 13: 15) It's all about turning our hearts to God, seeing what He wants us to see, and hearing what He wants us to hear, and understanding what He wants us to understand.

How can we get there? 

We must prepare.

In Alma it says, "For behold, this life is the time for men to prepare to meet God; yea, behold the day of this life is the day for men to perform their labors." (Alma 34: 32)

Sometimes when I read that scripture, I think of this big massive test that I'm studying for. Most of the time it's looked as a bit scary instead of excitement because I think I'm going to fail because time is a ticking! 

I remember in college being told that if I were to study for 10 mins right after class on what I just learned that I would have better chances of remembering it for the future test. The material would stick to my brain. 

This time of preparing to meet God is about changing, about repentance. "And the days of the children of men were prolonged, according to the will of God, that they might repent while in the flesh." (2 Nephi 2: 21) This is a daily practice.

One way of practicing repentance on a daily basis is through prayer. I'm approaching Him through thoughts, feelings, visualizations, and words. One way I find helpful to prepare when I pray is to meditate beforehand. And another way I'm learning more and more that I hope to continue in my practice is prepare to come with a question. And be sure to bring my notebook and pen because He's for sure going to answer me, sometimes with me asking more questions. 

Why is preparing important?

I was just doing a little internet reading (scientific, I know;) and preparing the soil early "increases your chances of having a high-yield crop" (https://www.gardenguides.com/68298-prepare-soil-vegetable-garden.html).  

When I come in prayer to God prepared with a question or with a clear mind after meditating, I'm saying, "I want to receive. Help me plant the seed into my heart so I can nourish it and help it grow." Preparing increases my chances of yielding fruit. 

When I get ready for bed, I don't simply plop into bed (unless we're talking newborn stage then you do whatever works!) If I want a high chance of getting a good sleep, there are several things I do to prepare: pj's, brush teeth, do the foam roller on my back, read until I get tired, etc. Sometimes it takes a good half hour to prepare but it tells my body that I'm ready. 

How do you prepare for the day? How does someone prepare to receive revelation? How can I prepare for General Conference? These are all questions I'm constantly seeking answers to because I know that there is great capacity to receive the word and see the fruit of it. 

This made me think of the compound effect. Preparing now, little by little, creates fruit that is yet to be seen but hoped for-the definition of faith. 

When you prepare, it takes great planning and care. And then you don't just wait. The beauty of preparing is it's continuous. It's the constant nourishment of the seed in the ground. Line upon line, precept upon precept. 

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I love that idea of preparing the soil and how you related it to prayer and scripture study .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving all the connections here. Much to ponder on and implement. Thank you for writing and sharing this.

    ReplyDelete