Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Third trimester-home stretch!


I realized I haven't posted much about my pregnancy experience. Even if it's just for myself and history sake, I really want to keep some record of how it's been. I've taken some pictures here and there, nothing professional, but I know that this time is a short one and I want to document it in some ways. 

We found out we're having a boy!


 Because of our move and the transition time, I was about 22 weeks before we found out. It was at my first appointment with our new doctor and even though his legs were crossed for most of the ultrasound, you could just see a little bit to know it was a boy. We had it confirmed two more times when I had my anatomy ultrasound. Austin came for the gender reveal and the anatomy ultrasound. That was a neat experience.  The room was dark and it was quiet while the tech was getting all the measurements. It was so peaceful that I almost fell asleep (Austin said he just felt the Spirit the whole time-he's obviously way more spiritual than me😉). 

I had a feeling it might be boy until just before we had the ultrasound and then I was thinking it was a girl. I didn't even notice that I was wearing a pink shirt that day so when I did a little Marco Polo about it, I was like "it has nothing to do with the shirt!" 

We have a list of names for boys and I have a couple of favorites but we haven't solidified anything yet. We keep telling people it's got to be simple because our last name is already so hard for people to pronounce-ha poor kid. 

We have been SO blessed with what we've received already in terms of baby items from family and friends and complete strangers. My mom knew of a friend giving away a bassinet, pack and play, toys, books, a little play thing, etc and so we've inherited that recently. Then a lady I met once in the ward (I really didn't talk to her much we just said hi at book club) emailed me and asked if we wanted a crib (that can turn to a toddler bed) and changing table. Uh yes please. I also get a ton of maternity clothes and then boys clothes and nursing pillows and other essential things from Alice-Anne and Dani. It's like people are just looking out for ways to find things for me. It's amazing! Viv sent me this picture of this adorable Mickey Mouse outfit that I can't wait to have this little guy wear. And she's been nice to offer to put on a baby shower for me as well as a lady here in the ward wants to do one for me too. I remember being a little worried about how it would be moving to a new place and what it would be like but what got was an overwhelming amount of love and support.


Just a little recap of 1st and 2nd trimester. All I can think about with my first trimester is throwing up 3x a week and eating a crazy amount of saltine and Ritz crackers. And being extremely tired...ok that part has not changed, even now. 

I was grateful that I received an appetite again in my 2nd trimester. A lot of people talk about a surge of energy they get in the 2nd trimester and while I somewhat felt that, I don't think it was as much as I was hoping or expecting. It might have something to do with my low iron which I'm now taking supplements for. But the fact that I don't throw up and can eat real food is a major win. 

Exercise: Before I got pregnant I was pretty active, playing basketball for 1.5 hours two times a week and then other days going on walks, doing Zumba or yoga. Now I just do pregnancy yoga through youtube videos. I've done several and most of them have been amazing. I feel it's helped me to open in my hip areas more and I don't have lower back problems. I try to be consistent about it but in reality it's more like 3x a week. One of them is a strength and stability routine which really works on the glutes. And when you work on the glutes, that is what helps from not getting as much back problems. 

I listened to this podcast with a doula who does hypnobirthing affirmations. The whole conversation was fascinating to me. And it felt like an answer to prayer because I was really having a lot of fear around child birth. I bought her affirmations on her website and Alice-Anne also recommended these ones from Amazon. I've loved them all (except I think I like the Amazon ones just a little bit more). The first time I listened to one of them, I was starting to actually find excitement in giving birth instead of absolute dread. I love the idea that I can trust my body and my baby to do exactly what needs to be done for this birthing process. I've been trying to visualize daily how it will feel and what it will look like when I meet this little guy for the first time. I can't wait to look into his eyes and meet him and say, "we did it!" I also can't wait to kiss his cheeks. I already think he's the coolest kid ever. 

I will be honest though, I've fallen out of the habit of listening to some of the affirmations lately but I know when I do it, it's been really helpful. Hopefully I can keep it up all the way through my labor. 

Third trimester has kicked in and I mostly feel tired a lot. I've been told to get as much rest as I can before the baby so I do try to take a nap on a daily basis. But that's usually when the baby kicks the most so it's a bit difficult. But I also love feeling him too. I'm also trying to plow through as many books as possible. :)

I have a list of all the things I would like to get or do before he comes and while at times it feels overwhelming, I keep saying it'll all happen when it's supposed to. One thing at a time. My life is going to change dramatically in a little over two months and while I don't feel ready (do you ever feel ready?), I feel extremely blessed to carry this little guy. Getting to this point has not been easy. I don't know how many chances I will get, especially since I'm having my first older than I was expecting so I hope to cherish it as much as I can. 

4 comments:

  1. Hey! Congratulations! I didn't know you were pregnant, too---and it sounds like we're due around the same time (I'm due at the beginning of July).

    It makes me happy to hear that you're doing hypnobirthing, too. I did it with my first, and it really helped alleviate SO much of the fear I had around childbirth, and I'm doing it this time with my second, as well. I actually feel so strongly about how every woman should take a hypnobirthing class (even if she wants an epidural) that I wrote a whole blog post about it! ha ha. I just think it helps so much to relieve that anxiety and lets you know that whatever comes on delivery day, you're ready.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading this post. You are such a sweet mother, and this little guy will be so cute and so blessed to be your son. Can’t wait to meet him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hearing the details of your pregnancy! You're going to rock this last trimester which means waddling l like a pro and getting lots of catnap day and night. We're excited for you! And good job getting in yoga 3x a week

    ReplyDelete