Tuesday, January 30, 2018

This Is Where You Belong by Melody Warnick


This was the perfect book to read on our move from Idaho to Washington. There were so many points that I wanted to remember. It helped me to understand a little bit why I liked Moscow so much too. I hope to implement some of the ideas she wrote about here in our new place so I can find a love for here too.

It really boils down to you decide to love a place. Another way of saying it is what’s the story you’re telling yourself about this place? If you say that there’s not much to do here, you probably won’t find much to do here. But if you say that there are many things to do here, you’ll find that too. 

Her first ‘love your city checklist’ is all about walking in your area. When you’re driving in a car you’re only thinking about getting from one place to the next and trying not to crash your car so you’re only aware of some things like buildings and stop lights. Once you get outside and wander, you find character to a place. You see how the trees are, the different shapes of houses, the smells of a fresh bakery. 

One thing I loved about Moscow was the trail that ran from Pullman to Moscow to Troy. It’s about 11 miles total and part of it ran right across our street where we lived. I did a lot of walking on those trails and it felt invigorating to get outside and get somewhere without using my car. It also came in handy when we were without a car and internet for a month and I would walk to campus every day using that trail. I loved it. Where we’re at now, there’s a park just a block from where we live. They have a small path but I’m already realizing how ‘stuck’ I feel without a good trail to get me to downtown. I’m trying to find a way to do it though. 

One of her other ideas is to buy local. We do a lot of good to the community when we buy local. It’s tempting to buy things cheaper at a Wal-mart and Winco and I’m guilty of this in many ways, but buying local keeps things running in the community. These small businesses help with community sports, fundraisers, etc. It’s fun when you become a regular and you can form friendships with the cashiers and in exchange they give you advice about life. One thing she mentions to do that I think is doable is set a budget each month to buy something locally. Something I regret doing while I was in Moscow is not buy anything from the local bookstore. When Eowyn Ivey came to visit, I decided to get the book online because I knew it would be cheaper. In reality it was only $8 cheaper which is not a big deal at all. And if I bought it at the bookstore, it was really me investing a little bit into this community. These events happen because people contribute. My goal is to better at this while I’m here. 

Another way to buy local is a farmer’s market. I got to work at a booth last year and I saw this firsthand. You get the regular customers week after week and you start to form bonds with them. You also feel like family with the other vendors because you’re working week after week next to them. Everyone looks out for one another. Even though we’ll all trying to make a profit, we really want the best for each other. 

She talks about getting to know your neighbors as a way of loving your place. I also hear it’s a great way to prevent crime. We were lucky enough to meet our next door neighbor the day we moved in. She is so sweet. I was talking to a lady in the ward and she said that there are often neighborhood get-togethers around these parts. I found out that in our little apartment community they have planned activities. It’s the little things.

One of the points is to find something fun to do. I love this one because it gets me to be more adventurous to do something that if someone were to visit, they would want to do it too. We live really close to a state park and can pretty much guarantee that will be a hot spot for people to come too. But I love the idea of finding a fun restaurant only offered in this town and taking people there. 

I could go on and on but it goes to show that you love a place when you invest in it. Two people could live in the same place and one love it and one hate it. I saw this a bit in Moscow. For those that hated the town, I always wondered if they ever went to the farmer’s market, or ate at Stax’s, or perused the local bookshop or co-op. There is so much to gain from taking a little time and getting to know your town, preferably by walking in it too. Usually when you know something for a long time and are interested in it, you will grow to love it. 

What ways have you found to love where you live?

No comments:

Post a Comment