Friday, April 24, 2015

Do more with less

To show you how small our little studio apartment is, I could show you the selfie that I took. :) People think we're probably "suffering" since we moved from a 3-bedroom house to a tiny studio that is infested with tiny dead bugs. The truth of it all is that we LOVE it. We don't have a dishwasher but that means I'm better at doing the dishes and I get to listen to awesome stuff like Harry Potter while I do it. I have one counter top that I work off for everything but I can still manage to bake 50 cookies and make dinner and clean all at the same time around it.
Not to mention that we have large windows at every turn so we don't turn on our indoor lights till about 8:30 at night. Natural light is THE BEST. Hopefully it evens out our electrical bill with all the cooking I'm doing. Since being here I've thought about why we us Americans think that more stuff is better. In other cultures, they have a few necessities and a goat. But we have boxes and boxes of things that tend to just clutter a place. And we somehow take pride in having the biggest thing-bigger house, working for a big company, bigger furniture, etc. It's so refreshing to only have the things we use on a day-to-day basis.
I know that when I have a baby, I'll probably want a dishwasher and a laundry room (or yeah...) but for right now, we are quite content with doing more with less.
The selfie as promised

1 comment:

  1. I thought that was the cutest apartment. It still makes me laugh when I took Eli in and he said he wanted to see your bedroom and I said no but then there we were in your bedroom.

    ReplyDelete